The default login screen in Windows 7 looks just as good as any other screen, but if for some reason you don’t like it, you can have it changed. Unlike Windows 10, the procedure to change the background of the Windows 7 login screen is a bit different and it takes a few more steps to complete the task.
There are multiple ways to change the login screen background image, and you can use all of them to set your favorite image as your login page background.
Change a value to change the background of the Windows 7 logon screen
Before you can assign a new image as the Windows 7 login screen background image, you must change a value using the registry editor or the local group policy editor.
Use one of the following methods to do this.
Use the Registry Editor to change the Windows 7 login screen
If you’re using any of the Windows 7 editions that don’t come with the Local Group Policy Editor, your only choice is to use registry editor to make the change. It’s a bit more complicated than the other method, but it gets the job done either way.
- press the Windows + R keys simultaneously, type regedit in the box on your screen and press Enter†
- Enter OEM Background as the name of the item and press Enter†
- Double click on the item and you should be able to edit it. In the edit box, change the existing value of the Value data field to 1 and click Okay†
- Exit the registry editor as you no longer need it.
Use the Local Group Policy Editor to enable background changes in the Windows 7 login screen
Certain editions of the Windows 7 operating system come with the Local Group Policy Editor. It allows you to change many of your computer’s settings and values in a much easier way than with a registry editor. This also includes the ability to change the background of the Windows 7 login screen.
If you have access to the tool, you can use it as follows to: enable the background image choice.
- press the Windows + R buttons simultaneously, enter gpedit.msc in the box and press Enter†
- When the option opens, select Switched on at the top to enable it. Then click on the Apply button followed by Okay at the bottom to save your changes.
- Exit the tool when you are done.
Set a new image as login screen wallpaper
Here comes the part of the procedure that you are going to really enjoy. Now that you’ve enabled the option that allows you to change the background image of your Windows 7 login screen, it’s time you chose an image to use as your background.
Windows gives you the flexibility to use almost any image as your background. You can choose one on your computer, download your favorite from the internet or ask your friend to send theirs to you. Make sure the image is less than 256 KB in size and in JPG format and everything should be fine.
You then need to put the image in a certain folder so that Windows recognizes it as a background image on the login screen and uses it properly.
- Right click on your image and select rename†
- Enter backgroundDefault as the name of the image. This is a must. Then copy the image.
- Open an Explorer window and navigate to the following path.
- Create a new folder named info† Then create a new folder in it and name it backgrounds†
- Open the backgrounds folder, right click somewhere empty and choose To stick† Your chosen background image will be copied here.
From now on you will see your chosen image as the background on your Windows 7 login screen.
Using a third-party app to change the logon background in Windows 7
Someone who has never used a registry editor or the local group policy editor will find the above methods a little daunting and may even avoid them. It’s completely understandable and there’s actually an easier way to change the Windows 7 login screen background image without tinkering with those tools.
There is a free app called Windows 7 Logon Background Changer that allows you to change your current background image to whatever you want with the click of a button. In fact, all you need to do is select your new image to use as wallpaper and apply it to your system.
- Go to the Background changer for Windows 7 login website and download the app to your computer.
- Extract the app archive and double click on the executable to launch it.
- You will see several images to use as wallpaper when it launches. Select the one you want to use and click Apply on the top.
- To use a custom image, click Choose a folder at the top and select the folder containing your image.
It’s good to be able to replace a wallpaper you don’t like with something you like. Let us know why you changed your wallpaper in the comments below.