“Windows 10 can’t connect to this network” is one of the issues you may face while trying connect your Windows machine to a network† As you can see, other than not being able to connect to the network, the error doesn’t say much about why the problem occurred and what to do about it.
When you first find yourself in the situation, you probably have no idea and have no idea what to do. Fortunately, there are a few ways to work around the problem and successfully connect to your chosen network on your PC.
Be sure to check out our short video on our YouTube channel where we cover some of the solutions mentioned in this article.
Forget the network and reconnect to it
If there is a problem with your computer, you will usually be asked to restart your computer and hopefully the problem will be solved for you. The same can be done for your network connection as well. You can try forgetting the network and then reconnect to it and see if it connects without any issues then.
While it’s one of the most basic things to do, it just might work for you, and there’s no harm in doing it.
- Locate the network icon in your system tray, right-click it and select Open Network and Internet Settings†
- Click on the option that says: Wi-Fi in the left sidebar to view your wireless adapters.
- Click on the next screen Manage known networks on the right to view your networks.
- You’ll see a list of all the networks you’ve ever connected to from your PC. Click on the one you can’t connect to and select the To forget button for it.
- The network is removed from the list.
- To reconnect to it, scan for it as you normally would and click on it.
Toggle airplane mode on and off
On smartphones like iPhone and Android, when faced with the “windows 10 can’t connect to this network” problem, one of the things you should do is switch the airplane mode and see if that solves the problem for you. It works in many cases because it helps your device completely disconnect from all networks, and you can then disable it and manually connect to your chosen network.
You can also use the same method on your Windows PC.
- Click the notification icon in the lower right corner to open the Windows Action Center.
- You will see several tiles that you can toggle on and off for your machine. Click on the one that says: Flight mode to turn it on.
- The tile will turn completely blue, which means that airplane mode is enabled on your PC.
- Wait about a minute and then click the same tile again. This time, airplane mode will be turned off.
- Reconnect to your network and you should be able to do it without any problems.
Uninstall the drivers for your network adapter
Your Windows computer recognizes your network adapter because the drivers are installed on your computer. If there is a problem with the drivers, it can cause problems like “Windows cannot connect to this network”.
One of the ways to resolve driver issues is to uninstall the device and drivers. Your machine will then automatically install the correct and required drivers for your device.
- Search Device Manager using Cortana search and launch it.
- Fold the . from Network adapters menu by clicking on it. Then select your wireless adapter from the list, right click on it and select Remove device†
- Check the box that says: Uninstall the driver software for this device and click remove† It will remove the device and its drivers from your computer.
- Restart your computer.
- Your computer will automatically find and install the required drivers for your adapter.
Run commands in CMD to fix the problem
The “Unable to connect to network” issue on your Windows 10 can also be due to an IP related issue. In that case, Microsoft recommends that you use a command to release your IP and clear the DNS cache.
These commands can be run from the Command Prompt utility on your computer. You don’t need to configure them or anything like that; you just need to copy and paste them into your CMD window.
- Search Command Prompt using the Cortana search and click on the Run as administrator choice.
- Restart your computer and your problem should probably be solved.
Reset your network settings
Sometimes incorrect configuration in your network settings can lead to errors like “Windows 10 cannot connect to this network”. The best way to fix the problem, without going into much detail, is to reset your network settings.
It will bring your settings back to factory defaults and you can always reconfigure them whenever you need to.
- Start the Settings app using Cortana Search on your PC.
- Click on the option that says: Network & Internet†
- Select Status from the left sidebar on your screen.
- Scroll down in the right pane and click on the option that says: Network reset† It should be at the very bottom of your screen.
- Click on the Reset now button to reset your settings.
Disable IPv6 on your PC
You can try disabling IP version 6 on your computer and see if it helps solve the connection problem on your computer. Most computers will work fine with IPv4 and you should have no problems at all unless you’re working on something that specifically requires IPv6.
- Right-click the network icon in your system tray and select Open Network and Internet Settings†
- click on Change adapter options on the next screen.
- Find your wireless adapter, right click on it and select Properties†
- You will see several options that you can enable and disable for your adapter. Uncheck the box that says: Internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) to disable IPv6. Then click on Okay At the bottom.
Use the network troubleshooter
If you still can’t figure out the problem, you can use the built-in network troubleshooter to find and fix the underlying problem on your computer.
- Start the Settings app on your PC.
- click on Update & Security†
- Select Resolving problems from the left sidebar.
- Find Network adapter in the list, click on it and choose Run the troubleshooter†
- The troubleshooter will find and fix the problem on your computer.
The “Windows can’t connect to this network” problem basically paralyzes you because you can’t connect to the Internet, meaning you can’t access your sites, emails, and anything else that requires an active Internet connection.
If you were able to fix the problem with any of the above methods, let us know your experience in the comments below.