If you want to use your computer these days, you don’t necessarily have to be around to use it. Remote control tools like Chrome Remote Desktop let you log in to your machine remotely from anywhere in the world.
As long as you have an internet connection, you can perform tasks on your machine as if you were sitting in front of it – and all that while being thousands of miles away.
Chrome Remote Desktop is a pretty good tool to enable remote connections to your computer. It is easy to set up, requires minimal resources and works with the major operating systems available.
How to set up Chrome Remote Desktop
Chrome Remote Desktop requires a bit of configuration before you can use it on your computers. This is just a one-time setup and once you’ve done it, you can use it the next time without configuring anything.
- Open the Chrome browser on your computer and go to the Chrome Remote Desktop website. Make sure you are signed in to your Google account as the procedure requires it.
- Once you are on the site you will see a section titled Set up remote access† Find and click the blue button in this section to start the installation process.
- You will be taken to the Chrome Web Store. Once there, click on the button that says Add to Chrome to install the remote desktop extension in your browser.
- click on Add an extension in the prompt that appears on your screen. It ensures that it is added to your browser.
Now that the extension is installed in your browser, you are all set to remotely access other machines and allow others to access your machine remotely.
Let someone manage your computer remotely with Chrome Remote Desktop
If you’re looking for technical help and want someone to remotely manage your computer, you can set things up in Chrome Remote Desktop so people can connect to your computer.
To do this, you need to generate a code that you then give to the remote user who has access to your computer.
- Open a new tab in Chrome and go to the Chrome Remote Desktop Place.
- There are two tabs at the top of the web page. Click on the one that says: Remote help provide or receive remote assistance.
- The next screen is divided into two parts. The top section is what we’re going to work with because it allows you to get remote help from other users. To generate a remote control code, click the Generate code knob.
- A code will be generated and displayed on your screen. You now need to give this to the person who will manage your computer remotely.
Please note that the code will automatically expire after 5 minutes and a new code will be generated. To cancel the remote assistance procedure, click the Cancel knob.
Remotely access a computer with Chrome Remote Desktop
If things are the other way around and you are the one wanting access to a remote machine (this could be your own home computer that you want to access from your office), you can do this by using the Give support option in the remote desktop tool.
Please note that someone must be on your computer to generate and provide the passcode. If you want remote access to your home computer without the need for codes, skip to the next section and help you set it up.
- Open a new tab or window in Chrome and go to the Chrome Remote Desktop site.
- click on Remote help at the top to access the page from where you can manage a computer remotely.
- you see the Give support section on the next screen. There is also a blank field where you can enter the passcode you received from your home computer.
- Enter the access code you have and click Connect†
- A prompt will appear on your remote computer asking if you want to share your screen. Someone has to click Part in the prompt to allow the remote connection.
- When the connection is established, you can move your cursor and perform tasks on the remote computer. On the right, you will find several options that allow you to adjust the screen size and a few other options. Play around with this to get a perfect screen resolution for your remote session.
- When you are done with your session, click on the Disconnect option at the top to end the connection.
- The remote computer can click: stop sharing to prevent their screen from being shared more.
Access remote devices with Google Remote Desktop
You can add your own computers to the device list so you don’t have to generate a passcode every time.
- Open the Chrome Remote Desktop site and click the Remote access tab.
- Scroll down and select the download button.
- Open the downloaded file and let it do what it’s supposed to do. It requires no interaction from the user side.
- Reload the Chrome Remote Desktop site in your browser and the download button will spin to say To turn on† Click it to enable the feature.
- You will be prompted to set a name for your computer. This is what will appear on the machines from which you connect to it. Enter a name and click Next one†
- You must set a PIN with at least 6 digits. It is used for authentication on the remote computer. Enter your PIN in the appropriate fields and click Get started†
- To access this computer from a remote computer, open the Chrome Remote Desktop site on the remote computer, click the Remote access tab, then select your computer from the list.
Make sure your computer won’t go to sleep or you cannot connect to it.