A PDF document is a convenient way to distribute a document so that all parties can open and view it the same way on any screen. It’s easy to create a PDF from an original Word, Excel, or PowerPoint document or from an image.
There are several ways to convert a Word document to PDF, and password protect the document to ensure that only those with the passcode can access it. It only takes a few seconds to convert Word to PDF and we’ll show you the different methods you can use to achieve that.
How to Convert Word to PDF with Microsoft Word
If your PC uses Microsoft Word 2007 or later versions, you can directly convert your Word document to PDF in just a few clicks using the built-in software features.
- To do this, open the Word document you want to convert to PDF and click File > Save as†
- Click on the Save as type drop-down menu in the Save as dialog and select PDF†
- Give your document a title if it doesn’t have one yet, select the Place where you want to save the PDF file and then click Save†
How to Convert Word to PDF Using Print Feature
The print feature in Windows 10 works with any program you use on your computer, as long as the program has printing capabilities. If you are using Windows 10, you can convert a Word document to PDF using the Microsoft Print to PDF feature.
- To use the Microsoft Print to PDF feature, open the file in Word and then click File > Print or press the CTRL+P Keyboard shortcut.
- In the Print window, click the drop-down menu under Printer and select the Microsoft Print to PDF choice.
- Choose other desired settings, such as the number of pages to print. Your Word document will print to PDF, which means it will make the printout as a PDF file. Name your document, select a location to save it, and then save the PDF document.
Remark: Another alternative to converting your Word document to PDF is to use the PDF conversion from Google Chrome browser feature. This feature works for web-based files on any device where you use Chrome Browser. To use this feature in Chrome, go to the Print option and select Print to PDF†
There are some drawbacks to using Microsoft Print to PDF to convert a Word document to PDF. First, it only works in Windows 10, so you’ll need to upgrade if you’re using Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Use the export option to convert Word to PDF
There is an export feature in Word that allows you to convert a Word document to PDF.
- Open the Word document you want to convert to PDF and select File > Save & Send†
- Click Create PDF/XPS Document†
- Then click Create PDF/XPS Document knob.
- Give your PDF file a titleselect where you want to save it and then click To publish†
How to Convert Word to PDF with Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat is a suite of applications that allow you to create, view, manipulate, print, and manage PDF files. It includes applications such as: Adobe Acrobat Reader and Acrobat DC that are useful for almost all PDF editing purposes, including: annotation† send for signaturemodify, convert, and combine multiple file types, among other tools.
- To convert Word to PDF using Adobe Acrobat, open Adobe Acrobat and click Create PDF†
- Click Select file on the right pane.
- Select the File you want to convert.
- Choose a folder to save the file to, give it a name and then click Save†
- If you are using a Mac, click Create and share Adobe PDF and select a folder for the exported file. You can also click Choose another foldergo to the folder where you want to save the file, give it a name and click Save†
How to Convert Word to PDF on Mac
Mac computers offer many options for converting Word documents to PDF files, just like Windows. In addition to the methods mentioned above, on a Mac, you can also convert a Word document to PDF using Pages.
- To convert a Word document to PDF on a Mac, open the document you want to convert in Pages and click File > Print†
- Click in the new menu on PDF in the lower left corner.
- In the next menu click on Save as PDF from the drop-down menu in the lower left corner.
- The Save as dialog box appears. Name your document, select a location to save it, and add any other details. Click Save†
After you convert your Word document to PDF, see our guide in the list things you can do with the PDF files on your Mac†
Use a third-party app to convert Word to PDF
If you have a Word document and don’t have access to Microsoft Word or the Pages app on Mac, you can use a third-party app to convert your Word document to PDF.
Some of the popular third-party apps that you can use to convert Word to PDF include: Small PDF† Smart PDF† Sejda† LibreOffice, and many others. Just upload your Word document to your favorite PDF editor, select the Word to PDF option and the app will convert your document.
Save your work
Converting a Word document to PDF is not difficult to do. All the options we mentioned above can help you preserve the formatting of your documents and share them with others. We have a collection of guides to help you manage your PDF files, such as how to copy text from a PDF file, insert a PDF file into a Word document or Insert PDF into PowerPointcompress a PDF file, and convert multiple images to PDF files†
Were you able to convert your Word document to PDF? Share it with us in a comment below.