Sometimes Outlook may get stuck on the loading profile screen when you try to start it. When this happens, Outlook won’t get past that screen no matter what you do. As a result, you will not be able to access your emails with the app.
There are several reasons why Outlook hangs on the charging profile screen. You can fix the underlying issues on your computer to get rid of this Outlook error.
Run Outlook with administrator rights
Although Outlook works fine in normal mode, sometimes running it in administrative mode helps to solve many problems. In the administrator mode, Outlook can perform many administrator-level tasks that can solve the problem that you are facing.
- Find the Outlook shortcut on your desktop.
- Right click on the Outlook shortcut and choose Run as administrator†
- click on Yes in the prompt that appears on your screen.
Start Outlook in Safe Mode
Like the Windows operating system, Outlook comes with safe mode to help you troubleshoot your computer. Safe mode only loads the essential files to run Outlook. This gives you a chance to disable suspicious Outlook add-ins.
- press the Windows + R keys simultaneously to open Run.
- Type the following command in Run and press Enter†
- Choose your profile and click Okay†
- Click on the File menu at the top.
- Select Options in the left sidebar to access the Outlook settings menu.
- To elect Plugins from the available options in the left sidebar.
- Select COM Add-ins of the To manage drop-down menu and click To go†
- Disable all add-ons in the list and click Okay†
- Close to Outlook and restart it.
- Enable the add-ins one by one and this will help you find the add-in that is causing the problem.
Kill all office processes with Task Manager
Microsoft recommends that you: close all Office processes with Task Manager to diagnose the problem with Outlook when loading the profile. Be sure to save your work in these Office apps before closing them.
- Right-click on the Windows taskbar and choose task management†
- Click on the Processes tab when Task Manager opens.
- Find all Office processes, right click on them one by one and select End of task†
- launch Outlook and it should work.
Using Outlook in Airplane Mode
When you start Outlook, it connects to your email server to get new emails. If there is a problem with your network connection, it can cause connection problems with Outlook and can cause issues like Outlook to get stuck on the loading profile screen.
You can try running Outlook in Airplane Mode to resolve this issue.
- Click the notification icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Select the Flight mode tile to enable the mode.
- While airplane mode is on, launch the Outlook app.
Disable Outlook presence options
Outlook offers a number of features to show your presence in the app. If you have these features enabled on your computer, Microsoft suggests that you disable them to see if that resolves the problem with Outlook loading the profile.
This method only works if you can somehow launch the Outlook app on your computer. Most of the time, in case the error occurs every now and then, this method will work.
Disabling these presence features will not affect your Outlook email experience.
- Start the Outlook app on your computer.
- Click on the File menu in the top left corner.
- There are several options in the left sidebar. Click on the one that says: Options†
- Select People in the left sidebar on the next screen.
- Find the section titled as Online status and photos in the right pane and uncheck the following options.
Show online status next to name
Show user photos if available (requires Outlook restart)
Then click on Okay at the bottom to save the changes.
- close the Outlook app and then open it again.
Fix Corrupt Outlook Files
Outlook may get stuck on the loading profile screen if one or more of the files are corrupted. Fortunately, Outlook comes with a utility that can help you repair these corrupted files.
Not much manual input is needed to fix the corrupt files. The utility does everything it takes to repair your files and help you open Outlook without any problems.
- Right click on the Outlook shortcut on your desktop and choose Properties†
- Click on the Shortcut tab at the top.
- You will find a button that says Open file location† Click on it to open the folder where the actual Outlook app is located.
- There are many files in the folder that opens. Locate the executable file named SCANPST.exe and double click the file to open it.
- The program will ask you to add the file you want to scan for problems. Click on the To leaf through button to add your file.
- Navigate to one of the following locations, find the file with .pst extension and select it to add to the utility.
Path 1 – C:\Users\
Path 2 – C:\Users\
- click on Get started in the utility.
- Tick the . at Backup the scanned file for repair option, and click Repair†
- launch Outlook when the file is repaired.
Create a new Outlook profile
Corrupted user profile can cause Outlook to hang on the loading profile screen. Outlook gives you the option to: create and use new profiles if your have existing problems.
You can create a new profile using the steps below.
- launch Control panel on your computer.
- Find and click the Mail choice.
- click on View Profiles on the next screen.
- Click on the To add to add a new profile.
- Enter a name for your new profile and click Okay†
- Enter the email account configuration for your new profile.
- When you’re back at the Mail inbox, select your new profile from the Always use this profile drop down menu. Then click on Apply followed by Okay†
- Open the Outlook app and it should no longer get stuck on the charging profile screen.
Once you have access to Outlook, it is worth clearing the cache files of Outlook to avoid problems caused by the cache in the future.