You are trying to uninstall a program, but that program cannot be uninstalled on your Windows 10 PC. This happens for a variety of reasons, some of which are not related to the program, but rather your system.
Fortunately, you can solve most removal problems by following simple procedures. You can then uninstall your programs as you normally do.
Use Settings to uninstall Windows 10 programs
The easiest way to remove installed apps on Windows 10 is to use the built-in Settings app. If you’ve tried uninstalling your apps using Control Panel or some other method, try Settings, and your program may be uninstalled successfully.
- Open the Settings app on your PC by pressing . to push Windows † l keys together.
- Select apps on the Settings window.
- You will see all your installed programs. Locate and select the program you want to remove.
- Select remove under the program name to remove the program.
- To elect remove in the prompt that opens.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and your program will be uninstalled.
Use Control Panel to uninstall Windows 10 apps
If you can’t use Settings, or if that app won’t remove your programs, try Control Panel. This is the most traditional way to remove apps from Windows PCs.
- Start the Control Panel by clicking the . to open Get started menu, search for Control paneland select Control panel in the search results.
- Select Uninstall a program below Programs in the Control Panel.
- Choose the program you want to remove.
- Select remove at the top of the program list.
- To elect Yes in the prompt that opens to confirm that you really want to uninstall the program.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Use the uninstall utility for your program
Many apps come with a special uninstall tool. You can use this tool to completely remove that program from your PC. It’s worth using this tool if Settings or Control Panel don’t work for you.
The steps to use the uninstall tool vary by software. However, in most of them you will find the uninstall or uninstall option to remove the program from your system. These removal tools are usually located in the same folder where your program is installed.
For example for the Avidemux tool, called the removal tool Remove Avidemux VC++ 64bits.exe is located in the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.7 VC++ 64bit
Opening that tool will launch a wizard to help you remove the program from your computer.
Close the program and then uninstall it
One of the reasons why you can’t uninstall an app is that the app is currently running on your PC. Windows usually prohibits you from uninstalling apps that are running in the foreground or background on your computer.
To work around that problem, close the app completely and remove the app from Settings or Control Panel. Make sure to save your unsaved work before closing your app.
If an app won’t close, you can force close that app as follows:
- Right-click on the Windows taskbar and select task management from the menu.
- Select the Processes tab in Task Manager.
- Find the program that won’t close, right click on the program and choose End of task†
- Use either Settings or Control panel to remove the program from your PC.
Use the troubleshooter for installing and uninstalling programs
Microsoft provides a troubleshooter for installing and uninstalling programs that you can use to troubleshoot your PC’s uninstallation. If you are having trouble uninstalling an app from your PC, try this tool and your problems should be solved.
- Launch a web browser on your computer and open the Install and uninstall program page. Download the free tool to your PC.
- Double click on the downloaded file to open the tool.
- Select Next one on the first screen of the tool.
- Select remove on the next screen.
- Wait while the tool detects problems with your system.
- When your program list appears, select the problematic program and choose Next one† If you don’t see your program here, select Not on the list on the top.
- The tool will then help to remove the selected program from your PC.
Use Command Prompt to Uninstall Programs That Cannot Be Uninstalled
Command Prompt is another way to remove programs from your PC. You give a command in this tool and the tool removes the specified app from your computer.
- launch Command Prompt by opening the Get started menu, search for Command Promptand select Run as administrator†
- To elect Yes in the User account control fast.
- Enter the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter† wmic
- Type the following command and press Enter† get product name† Note the name of the program you want to remove in the list that opens.
- Remove the problematic program by running the following command: product where name = “PROGRAM” call delete† To replace PROGRAM with the actual program name you noted above.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Remove programs that cannot be removed from Windows 10 Safe Mode
If your app still won’t uninstall, then a third-party process may be interfering with the uninstall task. To see if this is the case and uninstall the app successfully, use Windows 10 safe mode†
- Start the Settings app by pressing Windows † l Keys.
- Select Update & Security on the Settings window.
- To elect recovery from the sidebar on the left.
- Select Restart now below Advanced Boot at the right.
- When your PC restarts, you will see a Choose an option screen. Navigate from here to Resolving problems † Advanced options † Startup Settingsand select Restarting†
- Select the number 4 on the next screen to boot your PC in safe mode.
- When your PC is in safe mode, use either: Settings or Control panel to remove your stubborn program.
- Restart your PC to bring it back to normal mode.
Programs that cannot be uninstalled can indeed be uninstalled
Problematic apps are everywhere and some just won’t leave your PC. If you ever come across one, you now know exactly what to do to say goodbye to it forever. When that’s done, you can consider free up space and improve your PC’s performance†