For many people, the new social distancing protocols have not only destabilized their work lives, but also their social lives. Communication with family, friends or colleagues is not what it used to be, at least without restrictions.
However, just because you can’t meet your loved ones in person doesn’t mean you can’t still hang out.
There are many things you can do online, like setting up a Zoom meeting, playing online games, or having a group FaceTime. And if you miss the movies, you can watch Netflix with your friends online.
How to use Netflix Party to watch Netflix with friends
One of the best ways to enjoy movies on Netflix with your friends is with a Netflix Party.
The Netflix Party extension is a free extension for Google Chrome that allows you to watch Netflix remotely with others. You can play, pause, or pause the same shows or movies on Netflix as your family and friends so they can watch at the same time.
The extension offers a creative way to spend movie nights and viewing parties with loved ones.
The extension helps ease the lack of communication that has occurred with the coronavirus pandemic. It’s easy to install and start using right away to sync movies with your friends.
Netflix Party lets you chat with friends during your viewing session, upload emojis, screenshots, and embed GIFs for more fun. You can also view videos in full screen mode, synchronize video playback, and each participant in the session can play, pause, stop or scroll through the timeline.
The main downside to Netflix Party is that you have to create a new session every time you want to watch a different movie or multiple episodes of a show. Netflix will automatically play the episode, but you’ll have to send a new link to each of your friends to create a new session.
How to use Netflix Party to watch Netflix with friends
- To get started, install the Netflix Party extension from the Chrome Web Store.
- Next click Add to Chrome to complete the installation.
- Click Add extension.
- Once the installation is complete, check for the gray color NP button next to the address bar in your browser. If the NP button is missing, click the puzzle icon next to the address bar, then pin the NP button to your browser’s toolbar.
- Next, go to the Netflix website, sign in, and select the movie or TV show you want to watch with your friends.
- Click on red NP and then press Get the party started to start a viewing party. At this point, you will be the host of the viewing party, so you can choose whether you want to be the controller or let anyone in the group do so.
- Copy it Party URL and share it to invite friends to watch a Netflix show or movie with you. Each of your friends must have a Netflix account or access to Netflix for this to work. If they don’t have a Netflix account, they can create one, or you can share your account with up to four other people, depending on your subscription.
- You’ll see a chat room on the right side of the screen, and whenever someone you’ve invited joins the party, you’ll be able to see their names there. When the movie or show ends and you close the Netflix Party player, the chat room will disappear along with your chat history.
Note: If you want to join the party, click on the party URL you received from your friend. You will be redirected to the Netflix website, but you will have to click the NP button to automatically join the party.
Other third-party apps to watch Netflix with friends online
Netflix Party isn’t the only tool you can use to watch Netflix with friends online. There are other third-party apps like Watch2Gether, Kast (formerly Rabbit), TwoSeven, and Metastream.
Watch2Gether is a popular app for watching YouTube videos with friends. Although the Watch2Gether player is not compatible with Netflix, you can use the W2gSync feature to watch Netflix shows with your friends. Create a room, download the Watch2Gether browser extension, paste the Netflix URL into your private room window, and start watching.
Kast can also help you watch Netflix with friends. The software allows you, the host, to broadcast through a proxy server on a web portal, while your friends can watch the show with you in the same room. It’s free to download and use, but the premium version offers improved video quality, ad-free viewing, more emojis and reactions.
TwoSeven is one of the few apps that you can use to watch Netflix with your friends and their webcams while watching a video. You can use the free version of the app or additional paid plans to watch Netflix and Disney+ with your friends.
You can also watch Netflix with friends online with Scener and use chat to discuss the movie you’re watching.
However, Scener only works with your primary Netflix profile, meaning if you’re sharing your account with friends, you’ll need to select your profile to set up a viewing party. In addition, Scener allows a maximum of 10 people to watch a movie simultaneously in a room, and only the host can pause or restart playback.
Metastream is another streaming app that works like Netflix Party, except you use a private code to invite friends to your party.
The browser extension is free and available for Chrome and Firefox. Metastream also has a chat window, and you can queue up videos for uninterrupted viewing.
Currently, Netflix Party is the best extension that you can use to watch Netflix with your friends online. Netflix has a strict third-party policy, which means you may not find other safe and secure options than Netflix Party.
Watch Netflix remotely with friends
Not sure what to watch on Netflix? Check out our list of Netflix movies and series you can watch without knowing it. If you prefer to play games remotely with friends, check out the 5 best sites to play Scrabble online with friends or 10 two-player games you can play online.
Have you been able to start a Netflix viewing party with your friends using Netflix Party or Rabbit? Share with us in the comments.