If you use an external pointing device with your Windows 10 laptop, you probably don’t want accidental touches or presses on the built-in touchpad to be logged. Turning it off can help. But rarely do the options that allow you to deactivate the touchpad don’t work or seem to be missing.
So, if you are unable to disable the touchpad in Windows 10, you can try alternative settings, registry hacks, and third-party software to fix the problem.
Tip: Your laptop may have a special key or switch that disables the touchpad. Try to check (and use) it before you start.
Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 from Settings app
The fastest way to disable your laptop’s touchpad is to use Windows 10’s Settings app. You have probably already tried to use it and failed. But if you haven’t already, go through the steps below now.
1. Open the Get started menu and select Settings†
2. Select Devices†
3. Select touch pad or Mouse & touchpad on the sidebar.
4. Set the switch below . from touch pad to disable the touchpad.
You can also check the box next to . Switch off Leave Touchpad enabled when a mouse is connected choice. That should prompt Windows 10 to automatically disable the touchpad when you connect a mouse via USB.
Disable touchpad via mouse properties
If the options to disable the touchpad in Windows 10 Settings app seems to be missing or not working, please use the touchpad configuration options on the Mouse properties applet instead.
1. Open the Get started menu and go to Settings † Devices†
2. Select touch pad or Mouse & touchpad on the sidebar.
3. Select Additional Settings†
4. Switch to the Device settings tab. On some laptops, the tab may be labeled by the device model (for example ThinkPad†
5. Select your touchpad under the Devices section and select Turn of†
You can also check the box next to . check Disable internal pointing devices when an external USB pointing device is connected to configure the touchpad to automatically deactivate when you connect a mouse via USB or Bluetooth. If you can’t find the option, you can make it visible by modifying the system registry (more on that below).
Update the touchpad drivers
If you have the . can’t use Settings app or the Mouse properties dialog box to disable the touchpad in Windows 10, you need to: update your laptop drivers† Visit the manufacturer’s website (Dell† HP† Lenovoetc.) to download and install them.
You also need to update Windows 10. Not only does that help to fix any bugs and issues that prevent you from deactivating the touchpad, but it also allows you to install any touchpad-related driver updates released through Microsoft.
1. Open the Get started menu and go to Settings † Update & Security†
2. Select Check for updates to scan for new updates.
3. Select Download and install to install available updates. You must then restart your computer to complete its application.
Remark: If you see an option labeled View optional updatesyou may want to check if it contains additional driver updates for your touchpad.
Once you are done updating the drivers, go through the touchpad options on the Settings app or the Mouse properties dialog box again and check if they work.
Disable the touchpad by modifying the registry
If the above options still do not work or are missing, you can try disabling the touchpad of your laptop by modifying the system registry.
Important: We advise back up the system registry before making any changes to it. If changes cause additional problems, that should help you repair the registry.
1. Press Windows † R to open the Run box.
2. Type regedit and select Okay†
3. Copy and paste the following path into the address bar of the Registry Editor:
4. Press Enter†
5. Double click on the registry entry labeled Switched on†
6. Enter 0 as the value and select Okay†
7. Exit the Registry Editor.
That should deactivate the touchpad. If you want to reactivate it later, go through the steps above again, but set the Switched on value of the registry key to 1†
Modify the registry (alternative method)
As the Mouse properties dialog box to disable the touchpad while you have a mouse plugged in, the following registry hack should help make it visible. The following only applies to Synaptics touchpads.
1. Open the Registry Editor†
2. Copy and paste the following path and press Enter†
3. Double click on the registry entry labeled Disable IntPDF Feature†
4. Set up Value data until 33†
5. Select Okay†
6. Open the Get started menu and go to Settings † Devices † touch pad † Additional Settings † Device settings† The Disable internal pointing devices when an external USB pointing device is connected option should now be visible.
Disable Touchpad via Device Manager
Another way to disable your laptop’s touchpad in Windows 10 is to use the Device Manager applet.
1. Press Windows † X and select Device Manager†
2. Expand Mice and other pointing devices†
3. Right click on your touchpad driver and select Switch off device†
If you have multiple copies of the generic HID Compatible Mouse driver, you may want to disable them one by one until you come across the item that matches your touchpad.
Disable Touchpad via BIOS or UEFI
If none of the above solutions work, you can try disabling the touchpad via BIOS or UEFI. We strongly recommend that you read our guide on how to enter and use the BIOS or UEFI. Then follow the steps below to disable the touchpad.
1. Start entering the BIOS or UEFI on your laptop.
2. Look under each BIOS or UEFI tab for an option such as: touch pad or Internal pointing device†
3. Press the Enter button and select Handicapped†
4. Save your changes and exit the BIOS.
There are third-party tools that can help you disable the touchpad in Windows 10. Touchpad Blocker is a perfect example. It is a free program that allows you to quickly disable the touchpad with a simple shortcut (set to Ctrl † alt † F9 standard).
Touchpad Blocker is incredibly lightweight and quickly accessible from the system tray. It also offers additional options, such as the ability to block accidental taps while typing on your laptop’s keyboard, auto-launch on system startup, and so on. If the above solutions don’t work or seem too complicated, it’s a good idea to start using the program.